Divorce isn’t easy. It’s difficult on everyone involved. Below, you’ll find a few worldwide facts from childrenanddivorce.com that might help you through this time.
Worldwide Divorce Facts | Durham Divorce Lawyer
- Children living with both parents one after the other tend to be healthier than children of divorce living with the same parent
- Cohabitation results in higher divorce rates, but cohabitation itself does not cause the divorce afterwards. It is the type of people that chooses to cohabitate before they get married that is more likely to divorce once they are married
- Custody is the legal right and the responsibility to take the most important decisions for a child: about education, medical care and insurance and the place of living, The custodial parent does not have to be the parent with whom the child is living.
- Divorce can be fault-based or no-fault. Fault-based is when one of the partners did something that is a reason to break up a marriage. Examples are: abuse, adulterey and addiction. In a no-fault divorce, no one is to blame but both partners agree to end the marriage. In some countries no-fault divorces are not allowed. In most Western countries, no-fault divorces are allowed these days.
- Divorced persons are more vulnerable for mental illnesses, heart diseases, cancers, diabetes and other chronic conditions. This is probably due to higher stress, trauma and because divorced persons tend to have unhealthy lifestyles
- Divorcing men have higher stress levels and lower productivity at work
- In the U.S.A. the divorce rate is above 50%. Belgium rates highest with 75%. Chile the lowest. Details can be found on Divorce Statistics
- In the United States the cost of a divorce varies from USD 15.000 to about USD 42.500
- In the US 42 percent of the marriages end up in divorce. Canada: 48%, Japan: 27%
- It is important to know how and when you argue with your partner, no matter what the argument is
- Married couples who lived together first before they married have a higher probability to divorce
- More and more children are living with one of the parents only.
- Most people marry again after 3 years after the divorce.
- On average, it takes about a year to complete a divorce procedure
- Parents can share child custody. This is called shared custody or joint custody.
- Reasons for Divorce are many: boredom, age difference, incompatibility, sick of mind, religion, culture, adultery, abuse, poor communication, money, sexual problems, lifestyle and more.
- The change to divorce for people that do not smile often, is 3 times as high as for people that do smile often
- The divorce rate is expressed in the number of divorces per 1000 persons. USA: 4.0, Japan: 2.2, Germany: 2.4, France: 1.9; Italy: 0.7; UK: 2.6, Sweden: 2.4
- The risk of entering into a divorce is increased by: having a low annual income, having a low education level, not being religious, being a child of divorce, marry at a young age.
- When two people divorce, there mutual assets and liabilities must be divided.
- Property and savings but also loans and other liabilities must be split.
If you need a Durham Divorce Lawyer, contact Kevin Jones. Our office is here to schedule your appointment, now. Call us for more information.