Below, you’ll find signs of domestic abuse according to ncadv.org. Sometimes, it’s difficult to determine the difference between abuse and violence. To learn more about domestic violence, check back with our previous blog. If you need help, contact our attorney in Durham NC. We can help.
- Threatening to hurt or kill the victim’s friends, loved ones, or pets
- Telling an individual that they can never do anything right
- Telling an individual that they are a bad parent or threatening to hurt, kill, or take away their children
- Taking the victim’s money or refusing to give them money for expenses
- Stalking an individual or monitoring their victim’s every move (in person or also via the internet and/or other devices such as GPS tracking or the victim’s phone)
- Showing jealousy of the victim’s family and friends and time spent away
- Refusing to use protection when having sex or sabotaging birth control
- Preventing an individual from working or attending school, harassing an individual at either, keeping their victim up all night so they perform badly at their job or in school
- Preventing an individual from making their own decisions
- Pressuring an individual to have sex when they don’t want to or to do things sexually they are not comfortable with
- Pressuring or forcing an individual to use drugs or alcohol
- Looking at or acting in ways that scare the person they are abusing
- Keeping or discouraging an individual from seeing friends or family members
- Intimidating an individual with guns, knives, or other weapons
- Forcing sex with others
- Embarrassing or shaming an individual with put-downs
- Dictating how an individual dresses, wears their hair, etc.
- Destroying the victim’s property
- Controlling who an individual sees, where they go, or what they do
- Controlling every penny spent in the household
- Accusing an individual of cheating
Kevin Jones | Attorney Durham NC
Attorney in Durham NC, Kevin E. Jones can help you resolve your insurance, injury and other legal matters in an ethical and proper manner. Don’t let your health, finances and overall well being suffer because you’re unaware of your legal rights. Contact Kevin E Jones before making any final decisions. Things happen and many people go without the proper representation when they need it most. Don’t be just another number.